Access for Visitors
Library spaces and resources are intended primarily for the use of students, faculty, and staff of The Claremont Colleges. While all visitors are welcome at the library, some may be eligible for a community card
- Claremont Colleges students, faculty, and staff will use their school ID as their library card.
- Visitors may access the library building without a library card.
- Certain visitors are eligible for a library card. For eligibility information, see below.
- Please note: Library cards may only be used to check out library materials held within The Claremont Colleges Library building. Library cards may not be used for requesting Resource Sharing items, accessing e-books, using resources off-campus, and in many cases for access to Wi-Fi. For the complete list of borrowing privileges, see the Borrowing page ).
If you qualify under one of the following categories, you may apply for a library card at the Main Services Desk:
- Alumni/Alumnae of The Claremont Colleges:
- Apply for a card at the Main Services Desk with any photo ID. We may need to call the registrar at your alma mater to confirm your status as an alumnus/alumna, so it is best to apply during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.) when those offices are open.
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Faculty and Staff:
- Bring your RSABG ID card to the Main Services Desk.
- Children, Spouses, and Domestic Partners of The Claremont Colleges Faculty and Staff:
- Children ages 16-22, as well as spouses or domestic partners of faculty and staff, may apply for a library card by coming to the Main Services Desk with their qualifying person (current faculty or staff member) and photo ID.
- Reciprocal Faculty:
- We participate in the SCELC and GWLA reciprocal faculty programs. Bring your signed form and photo ID to the Main Services Desk.
- Visiting Scholars:
- Bring a letter of recommendation from the Dean of Faculty of one of The Claremont Colleges to the Main Services Desk to apply for a card. Your letter must include your end date of visitation.
- Claremont Residents (ZIP Code 91711):
- Residents 18 years and older may apply for a library card. Photo ID, proof of residence, and a $50 annual fee is required. There is no fee for Claremont residents 65 and older.
- Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Orange County Residents:
- Residents may apply for a library card. Photo ID, proof of residence, and a $100 annual fee is required.
For more information about access and borrowing privileges, please visit the Borrowing page .
To verify proof of residence, we require one of the following options:
- A valid driver’s license with current address.
- A valid California ID with current address.
- A current utility bill that shows current address, your name, and the date. Name must match your photo ID.
- A voter registration card with your name, current address, and the date. Name must match your photo ID.