Resource Sharing ( ILL )
You can request resources from other libraries through our Resource Sharing service.
Resource Sharing is a free service through which you have access to materials not owned by The Claremont Colleges Library. This service expands The Claremont Colleges Library’s collection to a global scale where current students, staff, and faculty can access materials from around the world.
Who is eligible:
Resource Sharing services are available to current students, staff, and faculty (including Adjunct and Emeritus) of The Claremont Colleges.
It is important to maintain strong borrowing relationships with our lending libraries. Because we depend on these relationships for continued borrowing, the loan and fine policies pertaining to these items are aligned with the owning libraries’ policies and are less flexible than our normal policies.
- Overdue items:
- Due dates are set by the lending libraries. Please return your items promptly when they are due. For more details, please see our Borrowing policies .
- Recalled items:
- Items are subject to recall by the lending library at any time. If an item is recalled, you will receive an email with the new due date. Please return these materials to the Main Services Desk.
- Lost/damaged items:
- If an item borrowed through Resource Sharing is lost or damaged, the borrower is responsible for the replacement cost and any associated fees. Items that are overdue past 30 days will be considered lost.
Notice: Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code ) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to provide a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use ,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
The Claremont Colleges Library reserves the right to refuse a request for material if fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Copyright information for Resource Sharing
Under fair use, a “reasonable” amount of journal articles may be requested through resource sharing. CONTU guidelines suggest using the “rule of five”: for copies of material requested from issues published in the last five years, only five articles may be requested in a calendar year from a single title. The sixth article and any following are subject to copyright royalties.
It is important that users adhere to the copyright restrictions on material requested through Resource Sharing. Material obtained through Resource Sharing should be used for one’s personal research and should not be shared with others or used for profit. Resource Sharing material may not be used for course reserves.
More information about copyright & fair use
- US Copyright Office Fair Use Index : an index of judicial decisions regarding fair use designed to help clarify what constitutes fair use…and what does not.
- Look up the item in our online catalog, Library Search.
- Once you have found the item you want, look for the “Get This Item” button on the item’s catalog page.
- This button will take you to a Resource Sharing form. Sign in with your Claremont Colleges network login and fill out the form to request your item.
- Provide complete citation information for the item you want. Leaving out information may result in a delay of getting the requested materials.
Resource Sharing is free for current students, staff, and faculty of The Claremont Colleges.
Article and chapter requests delivered electronically are typically available within 24-48 hours.
Print and media resources can take longer and are, on average, available within 8-10 business days. Depending on the types of materials being requested, some items may take longer to obtain.
Effective February 10, 2020 the library will hold your books at the Main Services Desk for 3 weeks after you are notified. You will get regular reminders of this timeline. If you do not pick up the item(s) requested or contact us, we will return the items from the lending library.
- Articles will be sent to you electronically as a PDF. Articles are kept on the Resource Sharing server for only 30 days.
- Print and media resources
- The lending library will determine the length of the loan period and stipulate any restrictions on the use of the item (for example, library use only). Materials are held for pickup at the Main Services Desk in the library. Present your college ID to pick up the material. Items are subject to recall by the lending library at any time.
If renewals are available from the lending libraries, renewals are automatically requested for you. If the renewal has been approved, we will update your library account with the new due date and notify you via email.