HathiTrust Digital Library & Research Center
A comprehensive archive of published literature available to everyone at The Claremont Colleges.
In 2016, The Claremont Colleges joined HathiTrust, a digital library partnership whose goals include preserving and providing access to digitized collections. HathiTrust aims to collaboratively build a comprehensive archive of published literature from around the world and to develop shared strategies for managing and developing digital and print holdings.
HathiTrust has 2 platforms:
The HathiTrust Digital Library is a catalog of both in-copyright and public domain resources comprising:
- Over 14.6 million volumes
- Over 7.3 million book titles
- Over 403,000 serial titles
You can search the catalog for descriptive information (title, author, subject, etc.) about these resources or run full-text searches.
Viewing the full text of results is limited to items that are out of copyright and/or in the public domain.
As a member of HathiTrust, The Claremont Colleges have additional privileges:
|Without Login||With Claremont login|
|Search full-text of all volumes||Yes||Yes|
|View full-text of non-copyright volumes||Yes||Yes|
|Download single page of non-copyright volumes (PDF image)||Yes||Yes|
|Download full volume of non-copyright volumes (PDF image)||No||Yes|
|Search within collections||Yes||Yes|
|Create and save your own collections||No||Yes|
|Use of accessibility features||No||Yes|
*Chart adapted from Syracuse University Libraries
To access members-only features:
Pomona, CMC, Scripps, HMC, and TCCS faculty, students, and staff:
- Log in to HathiTrust by clicking the yellow button in the upper-right of your screen.
- Select your institution from the drop-down menu (each Claremont College and TCCS are listed individually), and login using your CAS credentials.
**Pitzer and KGI faculty, students, and staff: Contact Electronic Resources for further assistance with the members-only enhanced features.
The HathiTrust Research Center enables computational analysis of all public domain works and (on limited terms) in-copyright works from its digital library collection.
The HathiTrust Research Center Extracted Features Dataset
- This data-set facilitates text analysis using the HathiTrust Digital Library. While copyright-protected texts are not available for download from HathiTrust, research can still be performed on the basis of non-consumptive analysis of features extracted from full text. These features include:
- volume-level metadata
- page-level metadata
- part-of-speech-tagged tokens
- token counts