Exceptions include those visiting Bookstore, Cafe, and Special Collections Appointments. More info on Blackout Dates for Community Access.
HathiTrust Digital Library & Research Center
A comprehensive archive of published literature available to everyone at The Claremont Colleges.
In 2016, The Claremont Colleges joined HathiTrust, a digital library partnership whose goals include preserving and providing access to digitized collections. HathiTrust aims to collaboratively build a comprehensive archive of published literature from around the world and to develop shared strategies for managing and developing digital and print holdings. HathiTrust has 2 platforms:
The HathiTrust Digital Library is a catalog of both in-copyright and public domain resources comprising:
- Over 14.6 million volumes
- Over 7.3 million book titles
- Over 403,000 serial titles
You can search the catalog for descriptive information (title, author, subject, etc.) about these resources or run full-text searches. Viewing the full text of results is limited to items that are out of copyright and/or in the public domain. As a member of HathiTrust, The Claremont Colleges have additional privileges:
|Without Login||With Claremont login|
|Search full-text of all volumes||Yes||Yes|
|View full-text of non-copyright volumes||Yes||Yes|
|Download single page of non-copyright volumes (PDF image)||Yes||Yes|
|Download full volume of non-copyright volumes (PDF image)||No||Yes|
|Search within collections||Yes||Yes|
|Create and save your own collections||No||Yes|
|Use of accessibility features||No||Yes|
*Chart adapted from Syracuse University Libraries
To access members-only features:
CGU, CMC, HMC, Pomona, Scripps, Pitzer, KGI, and TCCS faculty, students, and staff:
- Log in to HathiTrust by clicking the yellow button in the upper-right of your screen.
- Select your institution from the drop-down menu (each Claremont College and TCCS are listed individually), and login using your CAS credentials.
The HathiTrust Research Center enables computational analysis of all public domain works and (on limited terms) in-copyright works from its digital library collection.
Visit the HathiTrust Research Center Portal to create an account, build “worksets” of resources you want to analyze, and run algorithms on those worksets. Extensive documentation is provided. The HathiTrust Research Center Extracted Features Dataset
- This data-set facilitates text analysis using the HathiTrust Digital Library. While copyright-protected texts are not available for download from HathiTrust, research can still be performed on the basis of non-consumptive analysis of features extracted from full text. These features include:
- volume-level metadata
- page-level metadata
- part-of-speech-tagged tokens
- token counts