We invite you to join us in championing the idea that access to information should be free, open and available to all, which is recognized each year during International Open Access Week. This year’s theme – “Community Over Commercialization” – is being celebrated from October 23–29 and is dedicated to all this and more. According to the Open Access Week website, this theme is meant to encourage a candid conversation about what approaches to open scholarship do and do not prioritize the best interests of the public and the academic community.
“In a world where information is often restricted by a wide array of barriers, my hope is that we can all come together to break down those barriers and foster a sense of community, collaboration and inclusivity,” says Jennifer Beamer, Head of Scholarly Communications and Open Publishing Services at The Claremont Colleges Library. “It is important for us to highlight the transformative impact of open access and continue exploring ways to create equitable access to research which will help build a community infrastructure where information flows freely.”
The Claremont Colleges Library proudly supports education about and the practice of Open Access, Open Data, Open Education Resources, Open Textbooks and much more. Fortunately, each year Open Access Week provides an opportunity for the Library and fellow open access advocates to help inspire wider participation in making Open Access a new norm in scholarship and research by engaging our communities and sharing new insights on and the potential benefits of Open Access.
The benefits of Open Access include…
- Scholarly information and research results are free, immediate and made easily accessible through online channels.
- As a researcher, you have the right to use and re-use those results as you need.
- The power to transform the way research and scientific inquiry are conducted.
- Direct and widespread implications for academia, medicine, science and industry, as well as for society as a whole.
- Many members of The Claremont Colleges participate in widely sharing their research and scholarship via the principles of Open Access.
Be sure to follow Open Access Week activities around the world by following #OAWeek on your social media channel of choice and check out the global events taking place at openaccessweek.org/events.