On May 10, 2021 The Claremont Colleges Library and Pomona College sponsored a poster presentation showcase for students currently enrolled at any college or university to share their scholarship created while using at least one item found in the Western Water Archives collections.
Congratulations to the winners:
- First place was awarded to Jacob Greene, Pomona College, Department of Environmental Analysis; Gabriel Konar-Steenberg, Pomona College, Computer Science; and Ian Ragen, Pitzer College, Department of Environmental Analysis and their poster titled, White gold: The Mojave Desert and the biggest water project you’ve never heard of.
- Second place was awarded to Lindsay Chu, Pomona College, Department of Environmental Analysis (Environmental History); Emma Duggleby, Scripps College, Department of Environmental Analysis and Media Studies; and Thyra Herrmann, Pitzer College, Department of Environmental Analysis (Environmental Policy) and their poster titled, Water and time: (Re)imagining the Los Angeles River.
- Third place was awarded to Makeda Bullock Floyd, Pomona College, Department of Environmental Analysis and Gabe Garcia, Pomona College, Neuroscience and their poster titled, Fires, floods, and destruction: Effects of developing in the Pomona Valley floodplain.
Other participants included:
- Diya Courty-Stephens, Claremont McKenna College, Environment, Economics, & Politics and Paul Maillot-Singer, Pomona College, Religious Studies and their poster titled, Salton Sea: A toxic bed of lies.
- Ivan Gonzalez-Soto, UC Merced, Interdisciplinary Humanities Graduate Group (History & Critical Race and Ethnic Studies) and his poster titled, County of canals: An environmental history of the All-American Canal.
The posters, video presentations, and bibliographies can be accessed through the Student Poster Showcase web page of the Western Water Archives website. A video containing all five poster presentations is also available on the Library’s YouTube channel.